Evaluation of CCHF Infection in Hard Ticks in Razavi Khorasan Province, Iran
Message:
Article Type:
Research/Original Article (دارای رتبه معتبر)
Abstract:
Background

Crimean-Congo hemorrhagic fever (CCHF) is a potentially fatal tick-borne viral disease. Hard ticks are both carriers and reservoirs of the CCHF virus. In this regard, the present study was done to investigate the CCHF viral infection in collected ticks from livestock in Gonabad City (Southwest of Razavi Khorasan Province) in Eastern Iran.

Methods

This descriptive study was performed in rural areas of Gonabad City in 2018. The forceps sampling method collected hard ticks from livestock (goats, sheep, and cattle). The ticks were identified based on a valid taxonomic key; finally, the CCHF viral infection was evaluated using the RT-PCR technique.

Results

Between April and October 2018, 100 ticks were collected from 13 rural areas of Gonabad. The frequency of ticks collected from goats, sheep, and cows was 6.4%, 3.7%, and 89.9%, respectively. Also, 90% of ticks were Hyalomma (Hyalomma anatolicum excavatum (n=9), Hyalomma lusitanicum (n=59), Hyalomma marginatum (n=4), Hyalomma anatolicuman (n=18)) and the remaining 10% were Rhipicephalus sanguine. Overally, CCHF infection was observed in 14% of the ticks (Hy. excavatum, Hy. lusitanicum, and Hy. anatolicumand Rhipicephalus sanguineus).

Conclusion

Hyalomma species is the main vector of the CCHF virus. Due to the high abundance of hard ticks in nature and the livestock environment, special care is required in the villages. Also, due to the presence of more scattered ticks in the northern half of the country, comprehensive studies that cover a wide geographical area and cover a larger sample size are necessary.

Language:
English
Published:
Journal of Research and Health, Volume:13 Issue: 5, Sep-Oct 2023
Pages:
351 to 358
magiran.com/p2611927  
دانلود و مطالعه متن این مقاله با یکی از روشهای زیر امکان پذیر است:
اشتراک شخصی
با عضویت و پرداخت آنلاین حق اشتراک یک‌ساله به مبلغ 990,000ريال می‌توانید 70 عنوان مطلب دانلود کنید!
اشتراک سازمانی
به کتابخانه دانشگاه یا محل کار خود پیشنهاد کنید تا اشتراک سازمانی این پایگاه را برای دسترسی نامحدود همه کاربران به متن مطالب تهیه نمایند!
توجه!
  • حق عضویت دریافتی صرف حمایت از نشریات عضو و نگهداری، تکمیل و توسعه مگیران می‌شود.
  • پرداخت حق اشتراک و دانلود مقالات اجازه بازنشر آن در سایر رسانه‌های چاپی و دیجیتال را به کاربر نمی‌دهد.
In order to view content subscription is required

Personal subscription
Subscribe magiran.com for 50 € euros via PayPal and download 70 articles during a year.
Organization subscription
Please contact us to subscribe your university or library for unlimited access!