Nitrate intoxication due to ingestion of pigweed red-root (Amaranthus retroflexus) in cattle
Author(s):
Message:
Abstract:
Nitrate toxicosis associated with consumption of pigweed red-root (Amaranthus retroflexus) was diagnosed in a small herd of cattle in the suburb of Mashhad, northeastern Iran. The clinical signs were ruminal tympany, incoordination, tachycardia, dyspnea, head pressing, aggressive movements and jugular distension. Seven animals including 3 young calves and 4 cows died of intoxication; other affected cattle were treated by intravenous administration of epinephrine and ascorbic acid. No further mortality was observed after the treatment. One of the treated cows aborted a 6-month-old fetus more than three days after intoxication. Two samples of suspected plants were analysed for nitrate. The nitrate content of those plants was 6.6% and 10.4% in dry matter.
Language:
Persian
Published:
Iranian Journal of Veterinary Research, Volume:8 Issue:4, 2008
Page:
377
magiran.com/p467962  
روش‌های دسترسی به متن این مطلب
اشتراک شخصی
در سایت عضو شوید و هزینه اشتراک یک‌ساله سایت به مبلغ 300,000ريال را پرداخت کنید. همزمان با برقراری دوره اشتراک بسته دانلود 100 مطلب نیز برای شما فعال خواهد شد!
اشتراک سازمانی
به کتابخانه دانشگاه یا محل کار خود پیشنهاد کنید تا اشتراک سازمانی این پایگاه را برای دسترسی همه کاربران به متن مطالب خریداری نمایند!