Thyroid Dysfunction in the Elderly Women of Tabriz
Abstract:
Introduction
The present study aimed to investigate the prevalence of thyroid dysfunction in the elderly women of Tabriz city; the largest city in North West Iran.
Methods
By using the records of the local household registry, a sample of 1000 subjects aged between 60 and 89 years(mean 64.54±5.41) was drawn by simple random sampling. Thyroid function tests including TSH concentration were done in all subjects and free T4 concentration, free T3 concentration and anti-microsomal antibodies were measured in those with abnormal TSH levels.
Results
Seventy-three(7.3%) participants had high(>4.5mU/liter), and 54(5.4%) had low (<0.3 mU/liter) TSH levels. The overall prevalence of thyroid dysfunction in the population under study was 12.7%. The prevalence of overt and subclinical hypothyroidism in study subjects were 1.5% and 4.1%, respectively. Overt and subclinical hyperthyroidism was seen in 4.1% and 1.2%, respectively. High titers of anti-microsomal antibodies were found in 60.6% of those with high TSH levels.
Conclusion
The prevalence of abnormal biochemical thyroid function reported in the study is substantial and confirms previous reports in other populations. The prevalence of thyroid dysfunction is high in the elderly female population of Tabriz. The results provide useful baseline information for designing public health plans and tracking changes.
Language:
Persian
Published:
Journal of Shaeed Sdoughi University of Medical Sciences Yazd, Volume:19 Issue:2, 2011
Page:
148
magiran.com/p876913  
روش‌های دسترسی به متن این مطلب
اشتراک شخصی
در سایت عضو شوید و هزینه اشتراک یک‌ساله سایت به مبلغ 300,000ريال را پرداخت کنید. همزمان با برقراری دوره اشتراک بسته دانلود 100 مطلب نیز برای شما فعال خواهد شد!
اشتراک سازمانی
به کتابخانه دانشگاه یا محل کار خود پیشنهاد کنید تا اشتراک سازمانی این پایگاه را برای دسترسی همه کاربران به متن مطالب خریداری نمایند!