Optimum Design of Riprap Extension with Different Stone Size at Rectangular Bridge Piers with and without Protective Collar
Abstract:
Riprap layer is the most commonly employed countermeasure against scouring around bridge piers. Due to the large area of high intensity flow around a pier, riprap layer extent is large, especially in the case of skewed rectangular piers. Stable riprap size is designed so that it can resist the highest flow forces in the critical region around a pier. However, as the strength of flow forces around a pier is different, smaller riprap sizes can be used in the areas with lower flow forces to get optimum design. In the present study, extent of riprap layer with different sizes around bridge piers is investigated. Three different rectangular piers with or without an attached protective collar aligned with the flow and skewed at different angles are tested. The ranges of aspect ratio for the piers and skew angle were 3 to 7 and 0o to 20o, respectively. The optimal configurations of riprap extent for each pier condition with different sizes were determined. Experiments showed that in the case of aligned rectangular pier without a collar only 8% of the area around the pier is critical and the remaining 92% area can be protected with about 38% smaller riprap stones. As the skew angle of the pier increases, the critical area increases too. In case of protected pier with collar, the collar prevents the region around the pier and therefore, the extent of riprap layer decreases compared to unprotected pier with similar flow condition.
Language:
Persian
Published:
Journal of Hydraulics, Volume:10 Issue: 4, 2016
Pages:
51 - 64
magiran.com/p1588457  
برخی از خدمات از جمله دانلود متن مقالات تنها به مشترکان مگیران ارایه می‌گردد. شما می‌توانید به یکی از روش‌های زیر مشترک شوید:
اشتراک شخصی
در سایت عضو شوید و هزینه اشتراک یک‌ساله سایت به مبلغ 400,000ريال را پرداخت کنید. همزمان با برقراری دوره اشتراک بسته دانلود 100 مطلب نیز برای شما فعال خواهد شد!
اشتراک سازمانی
به کتابخانه دانشگاه یا محل کار خود پیشنهاد کنید تا اشتراک سازمانی این پایگاه را برای دسترسی همه کاربران به متن مطالب خریداری نمایند!
توجه!
  • دسترسی به متن مقالات این پایگاه در قالب ارایه خدمات کتابخانه دیجیتال و با دریافت حق عضویت صورت می‌گیرد و مگیران بهایی برای هر مقاله تعیین نکرده و وجهی بابت آن دریافت نمی‌کند.
  • حق عضویت دریافتی صرف حمایت از نشریات عضو و نگهداری، تکمیل و توسعه مگیران می‌شود.
  • پرداخت حق اشتراک و دانلود مقالات اجازه بازنشر آن در سایر رسانه‌های چاپی و دیجیتال را به کاربر نمی‌دهد.